Friday, July 6, 2007

Sumpin a little sweet


As many of you may know, I am recently married. Hooray for love! Isn’t it great?! I know what you’re thinking; you thought this day would never come. Well, to all you Nay Sayers, (insert tongue sticking out), it was totally worth the wait. I don’t know how many of you know the story of how the real Mr. & Mrs. Smith came to be, but let me enlighten you with a sweet little tidbit. (Since this is my first blog I’m going to indulge in a little ME time but I promise stories of ‘Cami Woe’ will soon be available for your reading pleasure!)

Many of you know this, and for those that do, you'll just have to suffer through. For those that don't, enjoy! My good friend and co-worker, Colette Austin, asked me if she could give my number to a guy she knew and I said yes. This threw me into a whirlwind of events that soon became the reality of my life, which has taken a complete 360 in the last 6 months. After our initial meeting (via the phone December 18th and in person December 19th), Christmas Eve was the night that my life would change forever.

Keith and I had been talking all week and went on our first official date he got back from Las Vegas (the BYU game)- dinner at the Olive Garden and The Nutcracker. It was so much fun! Being with Keith was like no guy I’d ever dated. It was fast and new, I felt a connection yet it was still foreign. I wasn’t sure how to react to all of this. Christmas Eve Keith invited me to a party at his friend Dallin’s house. Since my family had zero plans for the night I said ok and drove to Farmington to meet him. (It’s funny, this reminiscing is so surreal but I love our story.)
At Dallin’s there were family and friends. The Plaizier’s were so kind and welcoming of me. I was able to meet some of Keith’s friends and Dallin’s family. We played pool and Karaoke. Keith and I played jokes on his friend Nate and we were having such a great time. I was able to see Keith interacting with other people and saw how social and comfortable he is with himself and those around him. He is the life of the party but not in an obnoxious way. It was infectious and I couldn’t help but laugh.

It was this night that I fell in love with Keith. I didn’t realize it at the time but the feelings I was having, it was unbelievable and when I look back I know I was head over heels for him. The party went on for some time and it was late when I left. I was sad to leave, I just couldn’t bring myself to depart from Keith. When I got home it was about 3am on Christmas morning and I called Keith to tell him I got home ok. We talked for another 2 hours and decided that we didn’t want to date any other people. 24 hours from then we had decided we were getting married and on that Friday, December 29th, we had called the temple and set our wedding date, April 14th, 2007.

It was the craziest, most uninhibited thing I have ever done (and for those that know me I never think before I do things) and yet I knew, without a doubt, that I was to marry Keith. Maybe that’s why it was so easy to decide. I could see, I knew right away, like we’d always been together just torn apart and had taken a long time to find each other but in the process we were able to find ourselves first. I think back on that night, that Christmas Eve out by my car, as we cuddled and hugged, kissed good bye that I couldn’t disregard this as some fleeting moment…I knew that whatever this was it was real and it was here to stay.

And they lived Happily Ever After, right?! Haha. Well, most of the time. Marriage is an adjustment when you’ve been single for 28 years, but it’s wonderful and we are loving it!

2 comments:

gurrbonzo said...

AWWW. so cute. just think, 2 more months til the baby comes.

hehehe.

Doney Days said...

I'm so glad you told this story since I didn't know you'd gotten married. What a sweet love story and I love the wedding photos! You look amazing!