Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ode' to Connie

Monday at 3:45 Keith and I had to say good-bye to Connie, Keith's dog of 11 1/2 years. It was the saddest thing I have ever had to do. Connie was such a good dog. She had a wonderful disposition; was always happy even though she was in so much pain. She's had a liver infection for some time, and I guess because it never got better, her kidney's began to fail and her body was full of poison. She was almost completely blind and had a heart murmur. It was hard for her to breathe.
Connie had survived Parvo as a small puppy and also had Cancer a few years back. She was a trooper. When we got to the vet, she was so good. Didn't put up much of a fight. I think she knew what was coming and even though she was scared, I think she knew we were doing it for her. She is happier now.

Connie was full of life. Being a mix within the Huskie Family, she had an innate sense of mischeviousness. She was a free spirit. She didn't like being fenced in or chained up. Keith and Ted (Keith's brother's) told me countless stories of her as a young pup, running and jumping through hills of snow, attacking neighbors chickens and ducks, and even being bailed out of "jail" a number of times from the Bountiful and Layton city Dog Pounds.

Connie had the cutest face, full of happiness. Perky ears and a big tongue that just couldn't be contained. Connie immediately took a liking to me and although, she was only my dog for a short 6 months, I loved her very much. Because Connie had anxiety issues, Keith and I often stayed with her on the weekends, while Keith's parents were out of town. We had many good times. I remember once, not too long ago, I took her out to use the bathroom and I heard her barking/yelping, almost a helpless cry. When I went outside, she had managed to get herself, chain and all, wrapped around a pole that's in their yard. Poor pup. I couldn't help but laugh. She was so cute. I guided her back around the pole so she could be free and she was so happy. I just love that dog.

I don't have a picture of Connie, but I found this online and it looks alot like her. She was cuter than this, if you can believe it. More brown on her body and face and more smiles. But this is a good representation till I can find an actual picture of her to post.

Connie, we will miss you. Keith, most of all. I know you're having fun in heaven running around with the colored and the old man! (this would be one of their old dog's, Ebony, who they called "The Colored" and Connie always was biting her ear, and Keith's Grandpa, who lived with them till he died and they called "The Old Man").

1 comment:

April said...

That was beautiful. It is so hard to lose a four - legged friend. I really don't think anyone will love you as much as your dog does! "Dog Heaven" by Cynthia Rylant is a great book. I know Connie is running through endless fields, chasing birds and enjoying all the biscuits she can eat.