Thursday, August 30, 2007

Truth or Dare

Do you remember the days of staying up late, playing night games, or having slumber parties with your friends; playing Truth or Dare, eating treats that your mom only let you have when it was a sleepover night, and talking about boys or watching girly movies and doing each other’s hair? Well, sometimes I feel like this is my life re-incarnated some 20 years later. I look at my friends, I read their blogs; they all seem to be involved in activities that are bettering humankind, in some way or another. Some have children (hats off to you!); some are in school working towards a greater goal; some have jobs that mean something; some are actively involved in service in the communities or church callings. I, on the other hand, don’t have or do any of those things. Sometimes I wonder “What IS the purpose of my life?” Oh sure, I love my husband. We have so much fun. Married life is great! No complaints here. But let’s take a step back to re-evaluate my life:


- Career Life: Career is a strong word. Sometimes I feel like this is the kind of job a college student should have. Usually my day consists of reading articles online, sending way too many emails, working on projects that usually take 30-60 mins and then I’m done, waiting for something else to do. Reading friends blog’s, looking up books I want to get from the library, ordering said books from the library, etc. Some days I get soooo bored. But then I think about the perks of this job, and if for any reason I will be working here when I have kids, at least I won’t be brain dead when I get home. Still, sometimes it would be nice to have a job that pushes me just a bit.


- After Job Life: Did I really spend 3-4 hours last night watching old re-runs of Law & Order on TNT? Somebody stop me!


- Love Life: Just kidding. We won’t go there. Everything is great!


- Cooking Life: Last night I actually made steaks and instant potatoes. Not bad. Is my house being neglected from daily cleaning? Just blame it on TNT. I did manage to do the dishes. I hate dirty dishes in the sink. If you come over, don’t look at the floor. I can’t remember the last time I mopped. Yikes!


- Weekend Life: Usually consists of watching movies, going to dinner with friends, running errands, doing laundry, sleeping in.


- Church Life: We are in nursery and the lesson rotates between Keith and I (as one) and the other 4-5 women that are in there. Playing with the kids and having treats. By the time Sacrament Meeting comes (last of the block) I’m too exhausted to pay attention. I sit in the back and fall asleep once the talks start. We have GOT to incorporate nap time into nursery somehow.


- Gym Life: Well this has been really pathetic over the last few months. I used to workout in the A.M. before I got this job. But now it’s nearly impossible unless I want to wake up at 4am. Which I don’t. I really need to start going regularly. I try to swim once in awhile, but once in awhile just doesn’t cut it. I should be going 2-3 times a week. That is my new goal. That and doing Pilates a couple of times a week. Winter is coming and I’m afraid my cute winter clothes will not quite fit me if I don’t stop the madness. (Perhaps it’s time to pull the plug on TNT.)


So as you can see, my life is mostly ridiculous! I mean, is it possible this is the life of a 28 ½ year old with a college degree? Granted it might not mean much, but still. Shouldn’t I be doing something more with myself? Then I realized….I have the BEST life!!! Sure I don’t have kids, but I have a husband. And anyone who is married knows that can be a lot of work too. Men need so much help. Ü Also, I am young. Who says 28 is not a great age to be alive? I still feel like a 21 yr old, with all the wisdom and style of an almost 30-something. Oh and here’s the best part. The most random things I see, which are for your reading pleasure.

This just in……….this morning (and I couldn’t help but think, as I was walking along, that this would be the perfect blogging moment) I’m on my morning break. Sometimes I walk a few blocks to stretch my legs and possibly get a V-8 juice at the Rite Aid. For those that don’t know, I work in Salt Lake, downtown. There’s this project to up the life here by improving some of the buildings. So that means major construction. Sidewalks have been replaced with those walking tunnels that provide shelter should something heavy fall from the sky. We’ve all seen them, most of us have been in them. Nothing to spectacular. Well, this particular morning I’m walking through one, several people have just gotten off the Trax station and are heading in the opposite direction, but inside the tunnel with me. I see something dark on the ground ahead of me. Something dark long, and roundish. I know it’s not a hotdog. What would a hotdog be doing in a walking tunnel. Oh no, it’s poop!

Now I haven’t seen too many horses strolling in the walking tunnel. Nor does it smell of horse. This must be dog poop because no human in there right mind would drop their drawers and dump in the middle of a sidewalk. (Okay, okay, maybe they would. We’ve all encountered some strange people). Still, I couldn’t believe it. As I continued to walk on I saw more poop. What the hell? I mean, it’s one thing to let your dog poo on someone else’s grass, but this is a sidewalk. Nay, a walking tunnel! It is not even a sidewalk. Besides the fact that it really is Nothing Like Grass!!! I mean, who let’s their dog stop in the middle of one of those tunnels and poop? Those tunnels aren’t big. There’s only so much air space in them. And then to do it Again? At least pick up the crap. I mean, I know this isn’t Chicago, or Manhattan, or even San Diego, but it’s still a major city and you don’t just let your dog poop in the middle of a pseudo sidewalk and then walk off. I just don’t get it.

So I guess the moral of this blog is this: No matter how ridiculous you feel your life is, at least you aren’t that guy with the dog. Imagine what his house must smell like. Sick!!!
Ciao.

No comments: