Thursday, August 9, 2007

My Own Little Mission

I usually go outside on my lunch break and sit on a bench by the JSMB and eat my lunch. It was so hot today and some teeny boppers had taken my bench in the shade. I had my Harry Potter Book but between my sweaty back and the millions of brides trolling the premise, I decided to walk around Temple Square instead.

Side bar: I’m really glad I didn’t have to share my wedding day with literally 6-8 other brides; waiting in line and fighting over the premium photo spots. Dodged a bullet you say? I sure did!

So I’m walking around temple square and I stopped to talk to some sister missionaries. One was from Finland, the other from Calgary Canada. Even though I wasn’t wearing the traditional missionary attire, I sure felt the sweltering heat. We chatted for 5 minutes or so about Harry Potter (book in hand), the heat, and the fact that I work at Zions Bank across the street and then was on my way, yelling over my shoulder, “Maybe I’ll see ya around”.

As I continued my stroll through Temple Square I noticed some additions that have been made. Some statues and walk way paths added on the south side by that fountain thingy. I really don’t know how to explain where it is, you’ll just have to go there. But being there, walking around and seeing statues of our Prophet Joseph Smith, I thought how lucky and grateful I am to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know I need to act like it more but I really am blessed.

So even though I never went on a mission and that really was in no way like being on a mission, I’m sure glad to have the church and others who are great missionaries and willing to be ones. Kudos to all you out there who have been, will go, or are on a mission now. Salute.

1 comment:

April said...

word! Thanks for the reminder :) Have a great weekend (i'm sure it will be swell if it involves Harry P.)!